So you’ve been considering starting your own business. Are you’re the right person to be your own boss? Far too often, the only reason one doesn’t give entrepreneurship a try is fear.
Building a dream into reality is exciting, challenging, time consuming, and frustrating. But at the end of the day, if you are a good at what you do, you’ll make money, and that’s how success is measured in business. The number of business opportunities, online and offline are endless.
Being your own boss requires a certain type of personality. You must be:
- Proactive – We all dream of being our own boss, setting our own hours, but if you don’t start somewhere it will remain a pipe dream. A proactive entrepreneur, scouts out opportunities, networks actively, and lives and breathes his business.
- Persistent – When you start something new it can include doubts, worries, and fears. Being able to persevere and make tough business decisions is critical.
- Personable – To run a successful business you have to be able to interact with people. Most successful entrepreneurs have great people skills. You need to treat your clients, colleagues, and everyone you meet, respectfully and positively.
- Highly Motivated – To be successful you need to be motivated. Having ideas is one thing, bringing those ideas to fruition is something else. You also must be able to complete projects without supervision. You need to be driven and actually crave productivity.
- Quality Conscious – An entrepreneur must take the quality of his products and services seriously. In this day and age of social networking, one satisfied client can bring in plenty more. And this can only be achieved by establishing good processes. A successful entrepreneur genuinely cares about his clients’ needs and makes all efforts to meet them.
While not everyone is meant to be self employed many are very successful. It’s important to match your interests, passions, and likes with the type of business you decide to start.
Here are some resources you could check out if you do decide to strike it out on your own.
8 tips to get you going, even if you don’t know where to start.
How to be your own boss. Fred Wilson offers 10 different ways to be your own boss in a presentation he gave at the 99% Conference.
Before you strike out on your own, make a game plan and get your finances in order, then you are ready to learn how to be your own boss.
What are you interested in? Where are your skills? Do you like to write? Can you design websites? Perhaps you know several computer languages? Consider this when you are starting your business. Take advantage of what you know and charge a fee for that knowledge. There’s an opportunity for a business there.
FREE Time Tracking software at your fingertips.
When you are trying to decide whether you are the right person to be your own boss, take the time to analyze yourself and be honest. Then you’ll have your answer.
No related posts.