The world has become a global village thanks to the Internet. Today, writing emails has become a large part of modern business communication. We no longer use snail mail to send and receive letters and other important documents. We’re at a stage where email communication is used to promote your small business. We have started exchanging virtual business cards using email signature.
What is an Email Signature?
An email signature is a virtual card that is added at the end of the outgoing mail. The signature can be set up in your email settings and when you send your emails, this is automatically added at the end. Else you can use email signature software.
What should Email Signature Contain?
Remember that email signature is a way to promote your business. Apart from that, your signature should contain direct contact details so that your clients and potential customers can reach you without any hassles. An ideal email signature should contain the basic information such as:
- Your name
- Your business title
- Name of your firm
- Phone and Fax Number(s)
- Skype (if you have one and want to be contacted)
- Postal Address
- Website URL (Remember to prefix )
- Email Address
Though many may find it ridiculous to add your email address in your email signature, it is sensible to do so. Use a simple yet elegant font and font size for your email signature. Make sure that the information is clear and it can all be read easily.
Certain Points to keep in Mind
- Do not assume your email will be found – When you provide your email address in your email signature, it becomes easier for the Internet newbies to find you. Be professional and give them your email address for business purposes.
- Why http:// is prefixed in your web address – This is done to make the link clickable, making it easier for your clients to be directed to your site. However, instead of giving the URL, you could also hyperlink a word.
- Importance of physical address- A postal address is necessary because it reassures the clients that you are a genuine business owner and not a fly by night operator.
- Marketing message- The website address and your postal address, along with the logo of your company, will provide a great promotional message for marketing. However, do not put any funny or cute messages. This can be very annoying.
- Maximum 6 lines – Last but not least, keep your email signature short and crisp. Though there is no hard and fast rule, it is wise to keep only six lines maximum. The reason is that if you enroll in some online forums or mailing lists, there is a possibility of having anything beyond six lines gets deleted.
- Social media links- You can include links to your social media profiles and your blogs, but ensure that they are appropriate to your business. Remember, this is your business email signature and not your personal one.
- Update your signature on your mobile device – If you make changes to your email signature, make sure to update your smart phone if you send frequent emails.
How Important is Email Signature to a Small Business Owner?
- When you have a simple email signature at the end, customers and potential customers will know how to contact you.
- When you mention your email and website URL, potential clients are able to gauge the authenticity and the legitimacy of your business.
- Above all, it is a great marketing and brand building tool. If you are creative, you can mention your special offers in your email signature without annoying the receiver of the email. Once the offer is outdated you can remove the offer. For special formatting, you should use email signature tools such as WiseStamp.
- A point worth mentioning is that, the email signature helps drive traffic to your website. It is an inexpensive, free method to generate website traffic.
Email Signature is an inexpensive but elegant way to promote your small business. It should be included at the end of all emails.